Friday, August 5, 2011

I got the Fulbright.

Typing that title, I am VERY aware of how overdue a realization it is. But today was spent largely in hammering it, quite successfully into our heads: WE ARE FULBRIGHTERS. And that's a pretty amazing thing.

This morning saw us dressed up and back at Sanmin, where we met the head of the Education Department in Kaohsiung, as well as several other people from that department, and Dr. Li and Dr. Spring, (who insists we just call her Spring, the direct translation of her Chinese name, "Beautiful Spring"), and reunited with Dr. Vocke, whom we had all met in DC. After a warm formal welcome to the city and the program, and a refresher course from Dr. Vocke on Fulbright rules and regulations, we headed to AIT (American Institute of Taiwan), which is the equivalent of the American consulate in Taiwan, since America does not have diplomatic relations with Taiwan. There, we were greeted by Branch Chief Gary Oba and crew, and the two summer interns, Chas and Andrea, recruited us for the programs they're working.

As a side note: the programs they're working on look great, and we will most likely get to be involved! The first involves reading giant storybooks to kids at the library--basically an extension of our teaching work, anyway--and the second involves a city-wide campaign to learn English! They invited us to star in some videos they are producing about learning English, the results of which will play throughout Kaohsiung in their MRT stations. Local celebrity, here I come!

Anyway, with the formal workings of the day completed, we went back to our apartment building for a quick rest (and a quick jaunt out for onion pancakes--yum!), and then set out for the harbor beach. We took a ferry across the water and got there just in time for the sunset--and it was BEAUTIFUL! The whole area was, really--I've never lived in California, but it reminded me of what I'd imagine Venice beach area to be like, only with Chinese characters everywhere, and selling fried squid and snails instead of hot dogs (though they sold those too). And the beach itself was gorgeous--here's a picture:


If you know me at all, you probably know that I'm not really a huge fan of the beach; this is largely due to the wind. Also, as I learned today, it's largely because I've spent my life in a part of the world where it is completely normal--and necessary, sometimes--to wear a parka when approaching the water, thanks to the chill whipping down the coastline. Well, it was crazy windy here--the typhoon off the northern coast is still throwing a bit of wind our way--but I didn't even care. It felt nice, in fact--a huge joy of living in a warm climate, I suppose. This is the kind of beach I can get behind!

We got some food; I learned how to order watermelon milk, though I've since forgotten, and we sat around taking pictures and watching local guys skim-boarding on the waves. I want to try it sometime--no big waves to worry about, and no sharks, just run and jump on for a few seconds! Looks like fun.

Our first week of training is officially over! Now comes the weekend: tomorrow, we go to see the Gorilla v. Elephant baseball game. Go Elephants!

No comments:

Post a Comment