Saturday, August 13, 2011

Meinong

We went to on more school visits today, to Dashe, Dashu, and to Meinong, where one ETA will be living alone.

First of all, it is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous out there. I mean really, really gorgeous. I still want to live in the city, but I wish I could visit once a month, or something...Check it out.



In Meinong, at the paper umbrella festival!
Looking around the school...
...yeah, it's beautiful
We had a lot of driving to do. First, we drove from our apartment in the center of the city to Dashe, on the outskirts of the city; then to Dashu, out in the countryside, next to the largest Buddhist temple in Taiwan; then to Meinong. I know I keep repeating it, but it is absolutely gorgeous out there--green mountains shrouded in mist, vibrant tropical flowers sprouting randomly from trees, water lilies floating on ponds, absolute silence--it was idyllic; definitely one of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on.

But I don't want to have to make it on a regular basis. Still, I think all of us who went lost a little of our heart there, and it will definitely make it easier on whomever ends up there. It seemed super homey and livable, and the people are all really nice and friendly. So this trip definitely helped.

Another major highlight of the day was getting to paint paper umbrellas at the paper umbrella festival in Meinong! Apparently, Meinong is world-famous for their paper umbrellas--check it out here.They were having an umbrella-painting competition while we were ther--check out the room full of submissions!

Here's the one I painted. The characters are my name in Chinese, Baihe, (pronounced Bye-huh; it means "Lily" in Mandarin), which all the Meinong citizens loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment