Friday, December 16, 2011

可以嗎?

I'm a terrible blogger when I'm traveling. And, as this post will show, I'm also a terrible traveler.My mom and I are currently about to go to sleep at Traveler Hotel Taitung--by means of no small miracle of  friends' help and communication.

See, we were headed off to explore yesterday when I made our reservations, and today I completely forgot that all I knew about where we were going was that we had a reservation and its name in English. Which, obviously, is not enough.

On the train from Kaohsiung, somewhere around an hour in, I realized this. I also realized that the train (obviously) had no internet connection. In other words, we would be arriving in Taitung with no idea whatsoever about how to reach our destination.

So I texted Karina, asking her if she could find out how to say the hotel name in Chinese. And, though she wasn't near a computer, she’s amazing and she translated--and I copied it down. When we got to Taitung, I pulled out my paper and went to talk to the first cab driver:

Me: 你 知道 "lu ke guan" 馬? (Do you know "lu ke guan?")
Driver: 我 不知道. (I don’t。)
Me: O, 好... (Oh, okay。。。)

And he drove away.

So I called Rachel, and asked her if she could look up the address for the hotel, which she graciously did without the all-too-easy joke at my expense for my stupidity in not planning ahead。 Fortunately, there were still plenty of cab drivers around, so I went to talk to the new first cab driver in line。

Me: 你好, 你 知道 "lu ke guan," 42 安慶 馬? (Hello, do you know "lu ke guan, 42 An Qing?"
Driver: 安慶街 馬? (An Qing street?)
Me:隊。。。? (Yes。。。?)
Driver (looking a little confused): "lu ke guan"?
Me: 隊。 (Yes.)
Driver: (something Idon't understand)
Me: 我 聽不懂, 我的中文 不.好... (I don't understand, my Chinese is not good...)
Driver: (something else I don't understand)
Me: 可以馬? (Can you?)
Driver: 可以. (I can.)
Me: Oh, 好... (Oh, OK...)

So yes, through broken Chinese and a lot of help, we finally found our hotel/hostel. And it turns out to be perfect! Just a few blocks from the night market (my mom's first, where we enjoyed fried dough balls, fried chicken, kiwi-pineapple juice and noodles for dinner) and from Watson's, where we bought anti-motion sickness meds for the ferry to Green Island tomorrow.

Looks like my Chinese will be tested this trip. And, though I thoroughly suck, I say bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment