Sunday, December 11, 2011

Meinong Hometown

Today, I had the privilege to explore Meinong as a hybrid cross of tourist and native.

How, you may ask? Through the wonderful perspective that comes from being an American with a lovely Taiwanese host family, and whose mother just so happens to be visiting.

First of all, some perspective. My mom and I got into Kaohsiung this morning after 29 and 10 hours of travel, respectively, at around 5am and, as my mom settled into my bed and I settled onto the floor, we managed a fitful 5 hours of sleep before the alarm rang at 10am.

At 11am, my host family came to pick us up, and, a short 7-11 trip for coffee later, we set out for Meinong.

Let me just say, I love my host family. My host mom, Margaret, had prepared a dual-language itinerary  which she gave to both my mom and I, complete with a note at the bottom welcoming my mom to the country. We all had a wonderful chat as we drove out of the city and the towering buildings gave way to greenery-enfolded hills and long stretches of banana, coconut, and betel nut trees. The Portuguese were really onto something when they named this island Ilha Formosa, which translates as "the beautiful island."

First off, we went to the Meinong folk village, an adorable cluster of buildings built in traditional style and boasting a paint-your-own umbrella station, koi pond, traditional Hakka house and furnishings, a tea shop, where we drank traditional lei (ground rice) tea, and a glorious view of the surrounding mountains.

...and also this ADORABLE baby on an old-fashioned rocking horse.







Then it was off to the paper umbrella making shop, where we did a little souvenir shopping, the end results of which for secret reasons we cannot display here now. ;)

Next was a SCRUMPTIOUS lunch of Hakka-style noodles, lotus stems, Fu vegetable, pig knuckles, peanut tofu, and stewed cabbage. Hakka-style cuisine remains my favorite I've tasted in Taiwan, for sure.

Then we went to James's house! Yes, that's right, turns out James is pretty much related to all of Meinong; we drove past his old school and through dozens of houses they announced were inhabited by distant relatives to get to where his mom still lives on their old family farm, a gorgeous space awash with greenery which has, over the years, grown over old tobacco buildings and other out-buildings to create a gorgeous contrast of wild and domestic.

We met James's mom, brother, sister-in-law, and several other relatives, and got to stroll through their garden, plucking orange cherry tomatoes off the vine as we went. Before we left, she insisted on giving us a bag full of tomatoes, fresh green dates, bananas, wax apples, and papayas. Her generosity was as overwhelming and beautiful as her garden itself.






By the time we pulled ourselves away from my host family's home, I felt like I had entered a new level of host family-hood. I now have not just a host nuclear family, but a host extended family, now on both sides (I met Margaret's family a while ago). It was lovely.

A soft rain began as we headed past a quick stop at a lotus growing field and to our final destination, in Margaret's family's hometown of Chishan, where we visited Chishan's traditional street and ate delicious iterations of banana shaved ice. (Mine was also lemon; my Mom's was red bean, pineapple and plum; James's was just red bean; Emily's was red bean and some other unidentified fruit and ice cream; Margaret had hot sticky rice, instead.)

Soooooo good.


After that, it was time to load our (very weary, in my mom's and my cases) selves back into the car and head back to Kaohsiung to await an hour at which it was normal to pass out for the night. (Easier for me than for my mom, for obvious reasons--hence I'm finishing this blog at 11pm as she's been asleep for an hour.)

Driving back, sitting in the middle seat with my mom on one side and my host sister on the other, I was reminded just how blessed I am to have two such great families supporting me as I live here in Kaohsiung. I left with a bag weighed down with goodies from my host family's hometown, and headed inside to enjoy them alongside goodies from my hometown. Hybridity can be a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment