Thursday, December 22, 2011

Strollin'

When I bought my scooter in September, it opened the world of Kaohsiung to me--and simultaneously shut it out. Whenever people here talk about scooters, one of the first things out of their mouths is "It's so convenient!"--and that's true. A little too true, really: scooters make it incredibly easy to go from point A to point B, without seeing any of the points in between.

I was reminded of this today, as I traversed Kaohsiung, scooter-less once more. My trip to school was longer and more complicated, true, but as I went I got to look around and see my fellow commuters, both Taiwanese and (gasp!) foreign, and remember that I lived in a community beyond that of annoying people who pull out in front of you without bothering to notice that you're even there. (Fun side note about scooters: YOU CAN SEE when people don't look.)

My trip back was even better. My lovely co-teacher, Patty, drove me to the department store near Central Park where the Western supermarket Jason's is located (Being in Jason's felt like HEAVEN, surrounded by American goodies and English signs!), and talking with her and being able to look around on the drive was great. I didn't find what I was looking for at Jason's (Graham crackers and instant vanilla pudding = fail, though they had six or seven varieties of Jell-O...), but I wasn't able to say no to a package of double fudge soft baked Pepperidge Farm cookies. Mmm...I'll be visiting again.

But quite apart from the food, going through the Christmas-bedecked department store down to the busy grocery store in the basement, and then walking the several blocks back to the MRT to go home, was great. It was absolutely glorious out, not too cold or too hot, and I enjoyed my stroll so much that, after I got home and had dinner, I went out again and went on a good 45 minute walk to the bank and to a local baking store (where, incidentally, I found some decent substitutes for Graham crackers and instant vanilla pudding in Digesta biscuits and custard powder).

It was on this walk, actually, that I realized that I rarely walk around my neighborhood any more. I have my established routes, to and from places I like, and that's about it.

But why? Again, I blame the scooter. Well, that, and my flat feet and months-long failure to remember to wear good shoes.

Hopefully, I'll have my scooter restored to me soon. But when I do, I hope to remember that Kaohsiung is larger than the few main streets I routinely traverse--and that the smaller streets are well worth being opened up with a quick stroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment