Thursday, March 8, 2012

Dishwashers

I promise this is not a rant against hand washing dishes. Nor is it some spoiled American throwing a hissy fit because her apartment doesn't have a dish washer. If I were prone to that sort of thing, which I like to think I'm not, it would have come out when I first moved here, not seven months in.

But it just so happens that seven months is the perfect amount of time for little irritations to grow, filling a glass drip by slow drip until it overflows into the sink.

Which is, incidentally, exactly what I'm talking about: our sink.

There are just so many things to say about our sink, and I have had plenty of time--far too much time, really--to think of them. It stinks. (Unsolvable problem, our landlord says--it's in the pipes.) It's constantly full of dishes. (Our problem, really, but we're all working on it with various degrees of commitment.) And--and this is the beef that inspired the post--it is absolutely impossible to wash dishes in it without soaking yourself.

Let me recap: we have no dishwasher. We are the dishwashers. Yet the instant you step up to do your civil duty and wash your dishes, the sink opens fire. If, for some reason, it can't reach your pants directly, not to worry, it'll find a nice dish to splash off of. If by some miracle you've mastered the art of having every surface of every dish constantly angled away from you (read: impossible), the water will just splash onto the front portion of the sink, which you will undoubtedly brush up against in the course of your dish cleaning. You want to wash dishes? Better be prepared for a day at the water park.

You know, maybe this is why our sink is always full. Having an attack-faucet attached to your lone method of cleaning the kitchen does not bode well for kitchen cleanliness. I don't mind washing dishes. I do mind having to change clothes three times a day to accommodate my need to eat off of clean dishes.

It's probably worth noting at this point that, when I write blog posts about things like dish washing, it's because I genuinely think it may be the most entertaining thing I can tell you at the moment. It's the dark side of posting daily, but I find topics where I can. And at this point, there aren't many topics left. After all, I've already thrown in everything...but the kitchen sink.

*badum tch!*

1 comment: