Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Real life

I don't know what to think about this, but my days now seem to naturally divide themselves into two parts--my school day and my 'real' day. By the time I sit down to write my blog, most of my school day has faded away, as if it was from a different life.

But of course it's not! In fact, it's more my 'real' day than my time after school--it's at school that I get to teach kids English, after all, and that's the reason I'm here! So, with that in mind, I taught 5th graders with Maggie today. They learned phonics, the "ng" sound, doing things like chanting "There is the king/ The king can sing/ The king can sing on a swing." After one of my classes, one of the best students came up to me to tell me that he was going to give an English speech tonight. That was all, just wanted to tell me. Super cute. :)

At lunch, as is my norm, I ate the school lunch in the subject teachers office and chatted with Maggie, Alison, and Fiona, the other English teacher at Han-Min. I always love talking to them--though the lunch today was somewhat less than delicious, rice porridge with taro, mystery meat, and tofu. Still loved the greens that are an ever-present part of the meals, though. That and the milk. :)

One of these days I'll give a more complete run down of my daily routine.

Today, though, I went to they gym for the first time here! Rachel and I went over after she got home from school, and I pretty much just followed her around the gym, seeing as it's been far too long since I've been and I was pretty lost as to what to do, other than the first half hour of cardio, which is pretty standard. Nonetheless, though, and the air conditioning notwithstanding, I was dripping and my muscles were strained by about 15 minutes in--I had not realized how out of shape I was. This will be a fun next couple of weeks...

We also did weights, and I did an ab workout, too, so the rest of the week will be pretty sore for me in general. I had ample opportunity to realize this, too, because after the gym we went to Carrefour and I bought a vacuum cleaner to take care of my rapidly dirty-ing rug in my room. Shaking it out can only do so much.

Another fun side effect of buying a vacuum cleaner is that I learned how to drive with something entirely occupying my foot space on my scooter. Or, at least the part of my foot space that I usually use--apparently, there's still plenty of space if you maneuver a bit.

Anyway, as a result partly of a bad nights sleep and partly of my workout, probably, I'm now really tired, and tomorrow I have to teach Morning English, and get gas before I head to school. Realistically I'll still be up for a few hours, but finishing this now makes that process shorter, at least. Now back to real life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment