Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Rediscovering Kaohsiung, part 2

Today, I got out of school at noon, leaving me ample time to show Dan and Danny the sights, such as they are. Still not enough time to see everything, unfortunately--not even I have seen everything yet, and I've lived here for two months so far--but at least we got to most of the staples.

1.) Cijin Island. This happened yesterday.

2.) Chialing's noodle shop. This also happened yesterday. And also today. Because she's just that amazing, and her food is just that delicious. We couldn't stay away; I firmly believe that no one who tries her food could possibly feel any different. She even had rice and green bean noodles for Dan. She's amazing.


3.) Wu Pao-chun bakery. It's kind of a big deal--beat out pastry chefs from around the world with its French bread--and it just so happens to be roughly 6 blocks from my apartment. We bought a loaf of red wine and dried berry bread (can't remember the kind of berry, which is embarrassing but true), still warm, and brought it back to the apartment for a sample, where both Dan and Danny declared it to be the best bread they had ever tasted. The statement "I could eat only this bread for the rest of my life" was definitely used.


We then hopped a Kaohsiung Cultural tour bus (itself an adventure, between figuring out where it was, fighting off a betel-nut-chewing cabbie who wanted to take us instead, and listening to the tour guides alternately try to explain things in halting English--maybe once or twice--and speaking in rapid-fire Chinese), and set out for the higher coastal area; that is...



4.) The Former British Consulate. Easily one of my favorite places in Kaohsiung, it was used in roughly the 1860s and it sits atop a hill which can see the entire city on one side, the lighthouse on another, the whole broad stretch of coastline on a third, and the lush greenery of ZhongShan on the last. All complemented by a constant light breeze, and set to the backdrop of a charming brick building with huge arches and white-painted wood doors. Lovely.


5.) 國立中山大學 (ZhongShanDaShue) After a leisurely stroll after the passing bus, which somehow succeeded, we discovered that it only took us the very short distance to the bottom of the university's sprawling campus. We (and by we I mean I) decided we simply must climb to the top, which had gorgeous views--including the one which is currently the background on this blog. On the way we saw lots of foreign students, lots of feral dogs, a terrifyingly large spider, lots of great views, and disappointingly few monkeys (read: none). Seriously, though, this mountain is gorgeous; in my view, no trip to Kaohsiung is complete without it.


6.) Thailand Burma Restaurant. It's 3 blocks from my apartment. It's the best Thai you've ever tasted. Enough said.


7.) Kaohsiung 85 Sky Tower. I've posted about this before--2nd tallest building in Taiwan, 13th tallest building in the world. Still has its uber-awkward Tokyo photographers exhibit. Still a cool place to visit, though, with fantastic views of, well, everything.


Other moments of note today: I randomly met another American on my way to school! A guy pulled up to me and said "hello," and I turned, expecting it to be a Taiwanese person practicing their English. We both did double-takes. Turns out, he though I was his co-worker at the cram school down the street from Han-min. We got stopped at 5 lights in a row, so we got to have a nice little conversation! Gotta love random moments like that.


Also, I was the navigator in taxis to and from Kaohsiung 85. And both times, the cab driver knew what I was saying. Chinese lessons ftw.


Well this has been one of my most random, rambling blogs, the apparently straightforward formatting notwithstanding. But hey, at least it covers all the staples!

No comments:

Post a Comment