Monday, October 17, 2011

Rediscovering Kaohsiung

When I told Danny and Dan to come to Kaohsiung on Monday instead of Saturday (due to pending--and ultimately nullified--inclement weather), I was thinking that I would get out of class at noon, and then have the rest of the afternoon to show them Kaohsiung. Which just shows how clearly I was thinking at that point in time: I don't get out of class on Mondays until 3:00.

So I taught all day ("ng" and "nk," which the kids loved to imitate and to laugh at my demonstrations), then headed straight home, picked up Dan and Danny, and headed off to Cijin Island. It was surprisingly un-busy--the joys of going on a weeknight, rather than a weekend--and we sampled fruit juices, walked around the beach, and forced Danny to try some squid. (I also tried the roadside squid for the first time--another food to check off my list of things-to-try-in-Taiwan.) About halfway through our walk, right as the sun was setting, my camera battery died.

Which was a real shame. In addition to the sunset, we saw a horse. Just, you know, chilling by the side of the trail. It took us a while to figure out if it was a runaway or not, but eventually we figured out it was staked down by the path.

Which leads me to the question who takes a horse to Cijin, stakes it to the side of the path, and walks off? For that matter, who in the thriving urban setting of Kaohsiung owns a horse? And where?

Shortly thereafter, we headed back for the Cultural Center and grabbed a bite at Chialing's, which was, as always, delicious. Then it was back to the apartment to play poker and High 2, which Dan introduced to us.

And now I'm blogging, which, as you may be able to tell, I have no desire to be doing. But I'll be up again tomorrow, ready to go again with my packed schedule: school, then rediscovering Kaohsiung with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment