Thursday, May 10, 2012

Blessed

Ingrid had a question about writing characters. I leaned across my desk and towards her, explaining stroke order and trying to reconcile her calligraphy teacher's and a student's rendition of the word "是" when I heard a commotion behind me. I turned--and there stood Maggie, Alison, Fiona and about 15 of my students, bearing a beautiful chocolate cake and shouting "Happy birthday!"

We lit the candles and they sang for me (including Ingrid's raucous Dutch addendum to the song, which I rather loved), and I made a wish. And then they revealed that not only had they bought me a gorgeous cake, they had cancelled the school lunch and brought in teas for everyone, and duck and crepes from a famous local shop. And they had bought me a present!

For not actually being my birthday, today was one of the best birthdays I've had. I feel so blessed! As we ate, we sat and chatted about anything and everything, from life in general to what to call the things we wrapped the duck in (Ingrid said 'wraps' or 'pancakes'; I said 'crepes') to the question of the origins of "bling bling的," an actual thing in Chinese used to describe shiny/sparkly jewelry (like my super cute new earrings--thank you guys!). A fabulous conversation with fabulous people while eating fabulous food.

One unexpected perk of being a teacher at two schools: your birthday starts way early! Here are the photos I snagged:

Cake, food, AND tea! Love my co-workers!

Had to rearrange my desk to fit my birthday cards. My students are the BEST!

No comments:

Post a Comment