Sunday, June 10, 2012

Earthquakes and Raindrops

My window screen puts life on mute. I've always hated window screens for this--I loved my childhood windows because we never had the screens on, which was great since it meant we could use my 1st-floor windows as alternative doors. Here, I have less control over my windows; there was a screen installed when we moved in, so I have a screen on my window now. End of story.

But it strikes me, on days like today when I spend most of it indoors, that a screened window adds just one more layer between you and reality; one layer I wish wasn't there. Now, and indeed for most of the day, I've been able to sit on my bed and hear the rain pelting our brick courtyard outside. I really love the sound of rain. So, when I've been listening a while, I sometimes go to look out my window at it--and discover that half of my window is all but useless for the purpose, being covered as it is in a rain-drenched screen.

But perhaps it's not just visual stimuli that are blocked by my window screen. Apparently, there was another earthquake today. And I, once again, didn't feel it. It was small; I only heard about it from Tiffiany, who posted on her Facebook and then got exactly no responses from other Kaohsiung-ers, which is very strange.

Adding to the muted effect today has been an oh-so-lovely headache which has grown over the course of the day, and which I suspect to be caffeine-related, but which didn't become unbearable until it was late enough that drinking caffeine was no longer an option. As in now. Perhaps sleep will shut it up...sleep is, after all, the ultimate muffler.

No comments:

Post a Comment