Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Moment of Silence

I learned today that a dear family friend and my first real employer, Roger, passed away on Saturday. I don't have any other details on what happened, but I couldn't possibly not pay him some small homage here.

Roger was the pillar of his community; not only did everyone in town know him, they respected him. Working for Roger, I was always impressed by, not just how many people asked for him by name, but by how well he treated everyone he came into contact with. He was forever frustrating his business manager by how much he gave away, how low he kept his prices, and how many discounts he gave just because. Even in an economy where jobs were scarce, he routinely hired local teenagers and paid them to work full time or more during their summers, graciously working around sometimes hectic schedules and offering an opportunity rarely, if ever, seen anymore. This is just a very small portion of what Roger did; just a small portion of what I know of what he did, for that matter. He was enormously giving in all that he did.

Roger will be greatly missed. My heart goes out to his extended family and to everyone in my hometown. They will be in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment