Monday, January 9, 2012

Assembly-line English

Three by three, they come to my desk, jittery and unsure of themselves. I give the instructions and begin flashing through word cards. The oral test is underway.

"Arms."
"Left."
"Jeans."
"Comb."
"Write."
"Uhhhh....."

I pause and help the student break down the troubling word, "knot," and then continue in the line-up. After the words comes another round of instructions, and then I'm showing picture cards of different feelings.

"How does he feel?"

"He feels good."

"How does he feel?"

"He feel thirsty."

"He feels thirsty. (change card; to next student) How does he feel?"

"He feels sicks."

Close enough. The next bit invariably surprises them, though it's precisely the same routine we've practiced in the classroom dozens of times. I lightly tap them each on their heads (or arms or legs or hands or feet):

"What's wrong with you?"

"I feel I head hurt..."

"My head hurts."

"I feel my head hurts."

"No, just 'My head hurts.'"

"Just my head hurts."

Well, I guess that's probably true, too. Sigh.

Throughout the day, 5 classes of 6th graders file dutifully before me, reading words and answering questions, then filing out again as I scramble to write down a grade before being inundated by a group of new students reminding me of their names and numbers. I leave my desk maybe three or four times total all day; even my breaks are eaten up by tests, as there never seems to be quite enough class time to get through everyone.

I assign each student a grade between 80 and 100, per the general grading policy here, and move on to the next. Student after student. Word after repeated word. Sadly, even giving them my little Chinese New Year cards became automatic ("What color do you like?"--student answers and takes card--"Thank you.")

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is here. Assembly-line English. As I've mentioned before, I teach over 550 students, and even so, I'm having to trade classes for next semester so more kids can have access to 'the foreign English teacher." Of all the kids I test today, none will be in my classes next semester. It's their peers' turn; theirs is over, and they have to make way for them.

And I hate that aspect of this process. I've loved the last 4 1/2 months teaching this group of kids, and I finally feel like I'm getting to know them, but now I'm being shuffled along to the next group. To be fair, I knew this was coming. When I got my school assignment, Hanmin offered for me to either teach all the 5th and 6th graders every other week, or teach half of them the first semester and half the second. I chose the latter option, on the assumption that it would be easier to get to know kids if you at least saw them once a week.

And I was right. Which is why it's so hard now to just slide on down the line to the next. I want to have more time with all my kids; they're each so wonderful and I love teaching them. Of course, that's the good news, too: they're ALL wonderful--including those I haven't taught yet.

But still, "How does Teacher Bekah feel?"

"She feels sad."

No comments:

Post a Comment