Sunday, January 1, 2012

...a sleep-deprived postscript

It's a funny thing about blogging the morning after you've stayed up all night about the day before: you're pretty well assured that, a) you will have forgotten some of the key points of the day before, and b) you won't be alert enough to make anything new and interesting happen later in the day.

Also, c) your memory will be shot, with less than pleasant circumstances.

So, a!
  • We were on the news last night! While wandering around Taipei 101, Karina and I spotted a news anchor getting ready to do a live broadcast so, after briefly contemplating photo-bombing, we decided instead to wait off to the side and watch her do her report. She got the go-ahead but, a few sentences in, the camera swung around to show the crowd! AKA, us--the only ones cheering for the camera, as Karina mentioned later. I hadn't noticed, I was just too excited to be on TV.
  • And, speaking of photo-bombing, that was a massive theme with us. Karina, Brittany, and Rachel will be all over strangers' Facebook profiles soon, likely tagged as "random foreigner who stood behind us, smiling, for the entirety of the timed photo session." Because yes, they did that.
  • In our stroll to find a way home, we passed Sun Yat Set Memorial Hall, marking another Taipei landmark that I've "visited"! Also, both it and the road for almost the entirety of our walk was absolutely TRASHED. I feel for the poor city workers who must've stayed up all night making it presentable again...and seriously, at the memorial?? Disrespectful in the extreme.
  • Also, the rest of our day yesterday, since it actually didn't start at 7:30: Karina and I went to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall to check out a carnival which had some sweet break dancing, then went to Tamsui, walked around a bit, had Starbucks at a 4-story store the line for which stretched out the door and down the street, and, of course, hit up an epic photobooth.
b!
  • Yeah...today, we checked out of our hostel and got on a train. For seven hours (gross!). End of story. Except that...
c!
  • My complete lack of a brain due to lack of sleep led me to forget my camera at the hostel. I discovered this, of course, not when we were eating right downstairs, and not before we got on the MRT, but after we'd traveled a good 6 or 7 stops to Taipei Main, left the MRT area, walked across the massive terminal to find food, ordered our food to take on the train with us, and only had 40 minutes before the train would leave. Fortunately, a couple phone calls to the hostel owner (thanks, Karina!), a load of panic, and a mass text later, Emily volunteered to stop by and pick it up for me (you're my hero!). And right around then, I realized that...
  • Due to my camera panic, I hadn't gotten the bagel sandwich I'd ordered and paid for to take on the train. Stupid one-track mind and unfortunately-timed remembering...
But that was my day! And now I'm going to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment